Tuesday 22 March 2011

Lavender Shortbread




I have a few confessions to make. Firstly, I adore shortbread. I grew up in Scotland and to this day absolutely adore Scottish food. Secondly, I love lavender. I love the smell of it (I used to live in a house with a garden full of it) and ever since trying lavender cheese at a cheese-tasting evening I really like lavender used in food. Lastly, and this may not be healthy, but I am attracted to food that is unnaturally coloured; if something is blue, I'll eat it!

I stumbled across this recipe for lavender shortbread and it is perfect (and purple - one of my favourite colours). I found the recipe here http://www.objetivocupcake.com/2011/03/como-usar-un-molde-de-shortbread-sin.html but as it's in Spanish, I've put it below.




250g butter (I use a soya spread)

75g sugar

1tbs water

300g flour

100g rice flour

2tbs edible lavender, chopped finely

2tbs brown sugar

purple colouring


Preheat oven to 160


Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the water, sifted flour and lavender. Add the colouring - you'll only need a tiny bit.

Mix well. Knead on a floured surface and then roll out using a rolling pin. Cut into desired shapes and place on a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the remainder of the lavender and the brown sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes and then transfer onto a rack to cool.

Another recipe can be found here. This one doesn't use colouring and adds lemon and mint flavours. Yum! http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6993/lavender-shortbread-biscuits.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment